Emirates Water and Electricity Company (EWEC) has awarded the 2GW Al Dhafra photovoltaic solar energy project to a consortium comprising TAQA and Masdar from Abu Dhabi, French utility company EDF Renewables and Chinese solar company JinkoPower. 60% will be owned by a consortium comprising TAQA and Masdar, while the remaining 40% will be owned by EDF and JinkoPower. The consortium has offered a record rate of US $ 0.0135 / kWh. The previous reference rate in the region and worldwide was US $ 0.01567 / kWh in the Qatar 800MW project. The project’s financial closure is expected to in Q3 2020, enabling initial power generation in 1H 2022 and full generation by 2H 2022. Once fully operational, the plant will increase Abu Dhabi’s solar power capacity to approximately 3.2 GW.

Read more